Are you ready for independence? In this toolkit you will find useful resources to help you determine the costs of buying a house, a Delaware State Housing application, housing options, emergency housing information, medical forms that you can use to assist you if you run into difficulties and more.
Advocacy and Information
- American Red Cross of the Delmarva Peninsula – As a community-based, humanitarian organization, the American Red Cross Delmarva Region provides relief to those affected by disasters and empowers individuals in our community to prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.
- Community Legal Aid Society (CLASI) – Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. (CLASI) is a private, non-profit law firm dedicated to equal justice for all. We provide civil legal services to members of our community who have low incomes, disabilities or who are age 60 and over. Our services help our clients to become safe and self-sufficient.
- Delaware Division of Developmental Disabilities Services (DDDS) – Providing leadership for a service system that is responsive to the needs of the people we support by creating opportunities and promoting possibilities for meeting those needs.
- Delaware Division of Long Term Care Residents' Protection (DLTCRP) – Protecting vulnerable people through oversight and regulation.
- Delaware Division of Services for Aging Adults and Persons with Disabilities (DSAAPD) – The Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities (DSAAPD) provides a broad range of programs and services in Delaware. Some of these programs and services are operated directly by DSAAPD staff.
- Delaware State Council for Independent Living – promoting the philosophy of independent living, in order to maximize the leadership, empowerment, independence, and productivity of individuals with disabilities, and the integration and full inclusion of individuals with disabilities into the mainstream of American society.
- Delaware Statewide Independent Living Council – The Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) helps remove barriers to independent living for people with disabilities and works to increase if necessary supports and services.
- Delaware Veteran's Affairs Commission – Dedicated to assisting veterans and their family members in obtaining benefits and working with other government agencies and civic organizations to facilitate assistive services.
- Freedom Center for Independent Living – Freedom Center is a resource and advocacy center that works to promote dignity, self-determination, independence and full participation in community life for people of any age that experience a disability.
- Governor's Advisory Council for Exceptional Citizens – Council provides leadership to improve the lives of exceptional citizens of all ages through advice and advocacy.
- Housing Alliance Delaware – Advocates for affordable housing
- Institute on Community Inclusion – Focuses on the inclusion of children, youth and adults with disabilities in "all aspects of the community".
- Interagency Coordinating Council – Ensures that the federal government appropriately supports safety and security for individuals with disabilities in disaster situations.
- Mid-Atlantic ADA Center – Provides training, information, and technical assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to businesses, consumers, schools, and state and local governments.
- National Council on Independent Living (NCIL)
- Veterans Service Locations – Information for state and national services for veterans on topics from housing to employment.
- What is the Disabilities Law Program? – CLASI.
- What is the Disabilities Law Program (Spanish)? – CLASI.
Helpful Letter Formats
Housing Assistance and Independent Living
- Affordable Housing and Housing Authorities in Delaware
- DelawareHousingSearch.org – Find accessible homes in Delaware.
- Delaware State Housing Authority – Information on buying a home, renting, mortgage lender, foreclosure and more.
- Directory of Residential Service Providers
- Emergency Housing & Services Quick Referral List – Heating oil, housing and assistance during an emergency.
- House of Joseph – Searchable homeless shelter directory.
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Rental Help
- Independent Living – Independent Resources, Inc. helping people with disabilities achieve and maintain independent lifestyle.
- Kencrest – Provides residential, in home, vocational and therapy services.
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) – Information regarding requirements for the Low Income Tax Credit.
- Mary Campbell Center – The Mary Campbell Center is a community of persons with disabilities, along with the staff and volunteers who assist them each day.
- Mortgage Loan Guide – This guide has been created to help individuals with disabilities, and their family members, in the process of buying a home of their own.
- My Own Front Door, A Handbook for People With Disabilities on Becoming a Tenant and Staying Housed – Maryland Partnership for Affordable Housing (MPAH)
- Peoples Place – Multi-service non-profit organization dedicated to helping people find their path to growth and independence.
- Renters Section 8 Choice Vouchers – DSHA voucher program for private rental residency in Kent, in Sussex counties.
- Tax Exemptions for Disabled Property Owners
- The Arc of Delaware – A website that brings together all information on affordable housing options available to persons with disabilities in Delaware.
- What Is Affordable Housing – Delaware State Housing Authority (DSHA).
Rights and Regulations
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – Website that provides information and technical assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Delaware Foreclosure Mediation Program – CLASI.
- Fair Housing Initiative – A link to the Delaware Community Legal Aid Society page that has information on their plan to eradicate discrimination in housing transactions in the state of Delaware against individuals based on race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Housing Repairs to Rental Properties – CLASI.
- HUD Fair Housing Guidebook – It is illegal for a landlord to refuse to make reasonable accommodation for a person with a disability.
- Tenant Rights and Responsibilities – CLASI.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – This page is designed to answer frequently asked questions on the housing rights of people with disabilities and the responsibilities of housing providers and building and design professionals under federal law.